Saturday, March 5, 2011

Passing it on to the next generation.

I had a little bit of an "ah ha" today.
I was driving the boys to their music lessons and on Saturday one of the radio stations plays classic rock and roll. I really enjoy Saturdays on that station. Anyway, as we listened I turned up the music and danced as I drove. Several of the boys enjoyed it with me dancing, and doing their best to sing along like Mom. (Pretty easy when it's something like 'Mony Mony')
We came to a stop light and I opened the windows to let some air in and turned down the radio. Which is when I was assaulted by the sound of rap music coming from the next car over. I didn't think too much of it until I realized it was old rap. Popular about the same time as the music I was just dancing to. I looked over and the woman in the car next to me looked at me, shrugged and apologetically turned her music down. Which is when I noticed her daughter...who happens to be a great friend of Mr. Music. I yelled hello and she and Mr. Music exchanged excited waves as the light turned green and we both drove away.
So, my lesson... I'm passing on my passions just like other parents pass on theirs.
I am grateful for the diversity of parents in the world, and of our kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment