A day before the storm we got a package in the mail. PERFECT timing! Star wants to go and see the movie 'The Lightning Thief" so I bought him the whole series and told him I would take him after he had read the first book. So, one of the things that he and I have been doing during this last few days is sharing the book. We make sure not to lose each others book marks and we have enjoyed reading it together and discussing the story as we go.I just finished it. (A few chapters before him, I just can't help it that I can't tear myself away while I am reading. He's lucky I gave it up to him as often as I did.)
I love it. 2008 my favorite series was Twilight. 2009 was Harry Potter, I can tell you already that 2010 is going to be Percy Jackson. I can hardly wait to start the next book.
My problem with series books is that I have to read them once the whole series is out. I don't do well with the patience part of book reading. It's like turning off a movie after 10 minutes and then watching 10 more minutes a week later...etc, etc, etc. I just can't do it. So, I am so glad when I find a series that is all written and that I love. My favorites are usually written for kids. I have read a few adult series and they just don't appeal to me as much. Maybe it's proof that I am really a kid at heart.
I have my favorite books, they are different by far than the series, most of them are written for a more mature audience. Only 'The Host' which was written by Stephanie Meyer is similar to any of the series that I like. And the only similarity is the fact that she wrote both it and the Twilight series. They are nothing alike.
So, for the extra reading time, I have been happy to be snowed in a for a while.
I must say I am EXTREMELY grateful for the fact that we have had electricity. I know many people close to us don't have any. We are warm, have food, and books. Life is good.
Here is a good series to read (if you haven't already) - Fablehaven. Great books! The fifth and last one comes out this spring - March I think. I'll have to check out Percy Jackson, it has been on my "to read list" for awhile now. It is great weather to read. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the heads up on The Lightning Thief. I've debated picking it up (I'm like you... once I start I can't really stop). Yay! And so cool that you are reading it with your son. You are an amazing mom!
ReplyDeleteWe have loved them, too! The 9 year old and the 11 year old have each read the entire series four times! They are counting the days to the movie premier.
ReplyDeleteAustin and I loved Percy Jackson! That is a really fun series. Fablehaven is good, too (Hi Kelly!). We should talk books sometime. I'm all about juvenile fiction and YA fiction. I think one of the elements that appeals to me is that it is clean reading. It seems like every time I pick up a 'grown-up' novel I end up having to shelve it because it is pornographic. What is it with authors these days? We also loved The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander.
ReplyDeleteI haven't started this series yet. We got the first three books for Game Boy for Christmas. He wanted to read the first one before the movie came out, too. I'm hoping to start it soon, but I have a small stack of books from the library the Mr. Perfect wants me to get through before I start reading books that I own (and don't have a deadline to avoid paying a fine for).
ReplyDeleteFor another really good (and complete) series that I just love, check out The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede. They start with Dealing with Dragons. There are four books in the series. I also love all of Shannon Hales YA books. I'm not as enamored with her chit lit (Austenland and The Actor and the Housewife), but they are better than a lot of chick lit out there.