Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving to my Mom and Dad

It's Thanksgiving Eve...well, no not any more... it's after midnight.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Today...er... yesterday and today I did two things. One thanks to my Dad, the other thanks to my Mom.
Daddy, guess what I did all by myself. Yes it's the back-splash for my new kitchen. Even though you taught me how to do tile, I have never done it alone. You have always been there in the past to walk me through the hard cuts and measuring and such. I missed you terribly and thought of you throughout the whole process. I still need to grout, but the tile is all in and I feel like it came out beautifully. YEA! Thanks for being a great teacher. (Check out my edge on the long wall. It started out with perfect halves on one side and ended with whole tiles on the other. Good planning or just luck? Perhaps it was just a good teacher...) I am especially pleased with my edging. You know me I can't do it all boring and blah. So I made it pretty. The cuts weren't as hard as I thought they would be, and they sure make it fun. I think I need to replace the blade on my tile cutter. Remember how we debated about buying it? It's been worth every cent we paid for it.
Mom, guess what I did. I made pie. Like real pie from scratch. And I couldn't resist making little ones for Dad and the boys, I think I will even let them eat them for breakfast...hey, it's a vegetable! Yes it's aunties crust recipe. (Thank you again for making me that cookbook, I love it and when I want to do some REAL cooking I always pull it out first. I'm also using one of your salad recipes, and of course your stuffing.) I also have an apple pie in the oven right now. It doesn't look as cool as yours always do, but it's from scratch. I can't compare with the master, but I love that you gave me the tools to at least come close.
Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad. I'm thinking of you both in so many ways today!

3 comments:

  1. Eve, this post of beautiful and inspirational. You make me miss my parents (and grandparents) so very much... the people that taught me so many different things in their own ways. I sure do love you, girly. And both the tile and pie look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pies tasted great. Thanks for making them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you find those little pie tins? I would love to get some.

    ReplyDelete